When The No Contact Rule Works With An Ex – And When It Doesn’t

Couple Not Talking
If you’ve been looking online for information on how to make an ex want you back, you’ve probably heard of the no contact rule. It says, quite simply, that before you start making any move toward getting back together, you need to go through a period of time when you have no contact with an ex.

For most people, this is not easy to do. You may be wondering if it’s even worth it. Let’s see how the no contact rule works with an ex so you can decide whether it’s likely to be successful for you.

No Contact Rule – How Long?

In Text Your Ex Back, Michael Fiore lays down a 30 day no contact rule to get an ex back. He says this is the best length of time to go without seeing, phoning or texting your ex.

Some online sources suggest waiting even longer. We don’t think that’s necessary, although you can still get back together with an ex after more time. If several months or even years have passed since you had any contact with your ex, you’re in a great position because you can begin the next step without waiting.

But 30 days of no contact is enough in most cases. It’s time for your ex to begin to forget the heat of whatever caused the breakup. If they’ve started seeing someone new, it gives them time to maybe become disillusioned with that new relationship.

It’s also enough time for the pain of the breakup to lose its sharpest edge for you. We don’t mean you’ll get over your ex in that time – likely you’ll still miss them and want to get back together, but you’re not so likely to act emotionally which would probably only drive them further away. You can be cool – and you have to be cool if you want your ex back.

To discover more about how the no contact rule works and exactly how to make an ex want you back, check out Text Your Ex Back here.

Does The No Contact Rule Work?

The no contact rule works in a lot of cases because it gives the space you both need to stop acting on raw emotion and start thinking realistically about how you can reestablish your relationship and build it to be stronger next time around.

There’s a good chance it will work if:

– your ex doesn’t want to see you

– you know you’ve been contacting your ex too much (calling, seeing them, texting)

– you want the relationship to work

– you’re prepared to do things differently next time around

There are situations where it doesn’t work. For example if you expect your ex to change and you’re not willing to change yourself, the problems that you had before are likely to come back. But it’s your best shot, so for anybody who wants to get back together with an ex, it’s worth trying.

You won’t know unless you try!

When We Say ‘No Contact’…

… we mean it! You don’t call your ex or show up at their apartment … okay, you got that.
But also:

– you don’t call their number just to hear their voicemail.

– you don’t hang around near their workplace to catch a glimpse of them going in or out.

– you don’t ‘just happen to be passing’ their favorite lunch venue.

– you don’t seek out their friends hoping to hear some news.

– you don’t even look at their Facebook page to find out what they’re doing.

Wait until you’re back in contact with them and let them tell you what they’ve been doing – if they want to. That way, you’ll be genuinely surprised and they won’t feel you’ve been spying on them.

What If You HAVE To Have Contact With Your Ex?

In a few cases there might be reasons why some contact between you is necessary. You might have kids and need to arrange access visits. You might have left stuff at your ex’s home and want to fetch it, or the other way around. You might even work together.

In that situation, think what you would do if you REALLY didn’t want any contact with your ex at all. What would you do if this was a person that you never wanted to see or hear from again? Some ideas:

– if you needed to collect stuff from them, you’d either do it when they were not home or have a friend pick it up for you.

– if they wanted things from your place, you wouldn’t be there. You might ask a friend to be there to check they didn’t take all of your furniture. Or, you’d pack up their stuff and leave it with a friend for them to collect, or have UPS deliver it to them.

– if you were arranging access for your kids, you’d do it in the most distant way: again, through a friend or family member, or even through your lawyer if a divorce has started.

– if you work for the same company, you’d just avoid them as much as you can. Take a route to the coffee machine that doesn’t pass by their desk. Use the stairs to avoid meeting in the elevator. Consider looking for another job or applying for a promotion that would take you out of your ex’s work area. You might be able to make a good career move from the situation.

Use your friends and family during this time. Most of those people will be glad to help you – if you just ask!

“It’s Hard!”

Yes it can be hard to face a whole 30 days of not seeing or speaking to your ex – but you CAN do it if you keep telling yourself that it’s the best – in fact, probably the only – way to make your ex want you back.

Think of all the future that you might have together – the years of happiness. You don’t want to throw that away by indulging your impulses now.

It helps if you can see the next steps ahead of you too. If you understand the whole process, you’ll see where this fits in the system and how the no contact rule works to help you get back together.

>> Click here to see all the steps right now and
start getting your ex back
with Text Your Ex Back from the official website <<

white space

Next post: Get Your Ex Back Coach: Michael Fiore Text Your Ex Back

506 thoughts on “When The No Contact Rule Works With An Ex – And When It Doesn’t

1. Jj

I had been dating an amazing guy for almost three months . He is basically everything I had wanted, the only thing is that he lives about three hrs away from me. Last weekend I visited him and I thought we had a great time, we were still figuring things out because of the newness of the relationship. Today we talked, he was acting normal and out of the blue he asked to talked to me and explained that I had done nothing wrong but he didn’t feel as connected to me as he thought he would by this time, I only told him to take care as I was too surprised to say anythung else… I’d love to get him back but I wonder if I should apply this or just let it go?

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

You have to decide for yourself whether you want to try to get him back. I would say you don’t have anything to lose by doing the 30 days of no contact. You’ve already done all the right things by taking it calmly and not sounding needy. Maybe after the month is out you will find you’ve moved on, but if not, you could begin the next steps.

2. John

Hi my name is John, I’ve been dating this girl for 3 years and she asked for a break, I’ve read that no contact is the way to go, but I’m not sure for how long I mean we love each other and I’ve done some pretty stupid things to her, it’s been a week and I feel the urge to call her and tell her to comeback and be happy with each other but I don’t know. She is really determined this time around about this. She said she needs time alone and didn’t want to end things until she figures out. What Im supposed to do to get her back?

3. Jo K

Hello, dated a guy for 3 months and he always did things that made me question his honesty. He wasn’t very thoughtful either. He flat out lied to me about something and that’s when I broke it off. I could never trust him from day 1. When we were together I felt amazing and addicted to his presence and also addicted to talking to him. When we apart I lived in anxiety and dissapointment. At this point I don’t even know if I should try and get him back. It’s only been a couple days since I broke it off and no contact. I miss him though bad.

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

Jo, you were strong enough to break this off for very good reasons. So why would you try to get him back? OK, I know, because you miss him. But if you go back to him, he will just know that he can keep doing the same things and you will keep coming back.

The only advice I can give in this situation is to stay strong and not go back. It will get easier, I promise! And then in time you will have a chance to find someone who makes you feel just as amazing, but is also honest and worthy of your trust.

1. Jo K

Jennie thank you for the quick response ! I love your page and advice. We had a very unique and powerful connection and I’ve never had as much fun as I did with him. But in our 40’s he should be honest and thoughtful. He said he’d be waiting for me..I question that too :). Onward and upward , thank you.

4. Lea

I ‘ve been in a relationship for more than a year with a guy, but we broke up because he was hurt we couldn t see each other as often as he wanted. I made the stupid mistake to tell him we should be friends but it’s not really working; would this rule work?

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

Maybe. This is intended for if he broke up with you. It isn’t clear from your message if that happened.

Anyway, the first step would be to tell him that being just friends isn’t working for you. Then if he doesn’t suggest getting back together, you could do no contact.

5. joe

so my ex and i broke up 4 months ago we have been talking mainly me begging and pleading to try again. we had many little break ups. she recently said we need to accept we donmt work and relationships dont work sometimes dont we? then she hasnt replied to me for a week now. ii know how i fucked up and been making changes these 4 months but if i go no contact seen as she isnt replying now will this help me? shes been negative these 4 months and wont listen to reason so what do i do? she wouldnt see me to talk or anything shes a daughter says she doesnt hvae time and is concerntrating on her and her daughter now, but i know shes going out all the time but when we were togther she always made time a issue? just kept saying we said all this before and we dont work. please help

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

I think going no contact is the only hope in this kind of situation generally. You’ve seen that putting on pressure through begging and pleading doesn’t work. If you back right off now, you might give her a chance to miss you, but if you keep trying to contact her and she doesn’t want you to, you risk making things a whole lot worse. So yes, no contact is what I’d do in your situation.

1. joe

she texted back friday saying, i think it hasnt worked honestly. we tried over and over again (the mini break ups) i dont think meeting up will help, i dont see how it will help. we tried to hard and it didnt work? im busy with ____ (her daughter) and always will be thats another thing that cant be helped.
        i havent replied but i dont know how to convince her to meet me to talk after all this time? do i just stay NC?

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

Yes, if she’s saying that, it sounds like this isn’t the right time to be trying to convince her. I would do 30 days no contact, then see if anything has changed. Good luck

6. Jess

Hello! So I have been in a sort of long distance relationship with my ex but about a month ago he said he wants to break up and that he found someone else he likes. He wanted to be friends with me and we have been talking daily, but a few days ago I told him I needed to take some time to myself and haven’t spoken to him since. He also said he is afraid I will abandon him. I really cannot understand him. Any advice for me? Thank you in advance.

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

I think you have done the right thing. If you want the relationship back, there is no point in being just friends in my opinion. It sounds like he wants to “have his cake and eat it” – to have a new relationship but still have you waiting there too. I would do no contact in this situation.

7. Abhishek

I’ve dated a girl for 3 months and i cheated on her but not intentionally
    She told me she dont trust me anymore and blocked me from everywhere.. will No contact rule apply on this situation??

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

I think the no contact rule has a better chance than anything else you can do. It’s not guaranteed, and it might take longer than 30 days, but if she’s blocked you, it will only anger her if you try to contact her now.

8. shelly

We’ve been broken up for over 2 months and I’ve only been in no contact for 2 weeks. I spent the first 2 months trying to convince him to give us another chance. I didn’t beg but I was severely emotional and sad. Is it too late for no contact to work if I didn’t do it immediately after the break-up?

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

It could still work. It’s certainly more likely to work than anything else you could do at this time, IMO. You might need to go longer than 30 days … or anyway, take the time to build your life and other interests, because it will be vital that you don’t seem needy when you do get back in touch with him. Good luck

1. shelly

Is it possible he’s already lost all feelings for me? I am worried that his perception of me has changed and he doesn’t see me as the woman he fell in love with 🙁 so much I wish I could undo.

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

The idea of the no contact time (and then the “across the bow” texts) is that you let time pass so that hopefully he will start remembering the good times and the way he felt about you in the beginning, and forget the more recent bad stuff. Perceptions and feelings change all the time–from one hour to the next, from one minute to the next, even. You can only start from where you are and concentrate on the present and the future.

As I said before, it will help if you focus on other friends and interests during this no contact time, and try not to overthink things. It will both help you, and likely make you more like the woman he fell in love with again 🙂

1. shelly

Thank you, Jennie. I think my biggest issue is my worry that the no contact will have very little impact because we’ve had communications for 2 months post breakup. Most of which was me pressuring him to meet/talk. Ive been filled with emotion and sadness. I miss him terribly and feel like our story is not over. But I can’t shake the feeling that he sees me differently now. what do I do after the 30 days no contact? do I reach out to him? I haven’t physically seen him 3 months. Is it possible we are so estranged at this point that his love and attraction is no longer there?

2. Jennie Hernandez Post author

I can’t answer your question about what he is feeling! Nobody can. All I can say is that I believe the no contact has a better chance than anything else of working. That doesn’t mean it works in every case. It just means that you’re doing the best thing you can do IMO. Which is all we can do in any situation.

Regarding what to do after the 30 days are over, it’s across the bow texts. You can see some examples in the post here: http://textyourexbackspy.com/what-to-text-your-ex-to-get-him-back/

Hope that helps

9. Heart broken and pregnant

I’m 38 almost 39 and he’s 59. We would have been dating a year this Sunday 3/18, but I found out I was pregnant 2/19 and told him 2/20. He told me he had no desire or intentions of being a dad again. When he divorced he raised his 3 girls by himself. He told me he thought I should see a doctor and see what they can do about the baby. I left saying my body, my choice and he asked what about his feelings. I haven’t has any contact with him since 2/20 other than when I texted him on 2/24 to let him know that since he had no desire or intention of being a dad that I was releasing him from all responsibility. He didn’t text or call responding to that and I have not attempted to contact him after that. What are the chances he will come around? And if he does will he come around for the Babies sake or will he want to get back together?

This isn’t our first break up, but definitely our worst. Back in November we went 2 weeks without talking until he finally called me. He asked if I had ever intended on calling him and I told him no. We did text during that time regarding work. He also told me that time that he thought he was stubborn but realized I was more stubborn. I think he was really hurt in a past relationship and has taken until February before we broke up to really be open to telling each other I love you. Before I’d say I love you and he’d say same. But before we broke up he’s say I love you too. What’s the probability of getting back together? We are nearing almost 30 days of the nc rule. After 30 days should I contact him? Text him? Thank you for your help and insight to this.

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

That’s a tough situation. First, I applaud you for having the courage to go ahead with what you felt was right for you, and not let yourself be persuaded to do something you might have regretted all your life.

TBH in your situation I’d wait until he contacts you, unless it goes past the time when the baby is born, and then you could let him know about that. He may change his mind about the child, but that’s more likely after the birth than before. And if he’s not interested in the child before it’s born, he may be afraid to respond to any contact you make, for fear of raising your hopes. So anything you do before the birth may feel like pressure to him.

Or he may be feeling hurt that you have “chosen the baby over him,” and if you contact him now he may start to hope you’ll change your mind and choose differently–depending how far along you are. That would only lead to more arguments and hurt for both of you.

On the other hand, if he DOES contact you during the pregnancy, that would be great. You could then meet up, as long as the suggestion comes from him.

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

P.S. When I wrote that, I was assuming he knows you love him and want him back, i.e. that you made that clear at the time of the breakup.

If there’s a chance he might think you were “just using him to get pregnant” (some guys do think that) and that you’re not interested in him anymore, then you could text again after the 30 days. But make it all about him and you, not the baby.

1. Heart broken and pregnant

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for replying. I don’t think I made it clear at all that I loved or wanted him back. When I left his house the last time we saw each other, we didn’t say we broke up or anything. I just kind of stormed out of there. I should have stayed and communicated with him, but I was getting upset and so was he. I just thought at that time we just needed time to think about things.

Should I text him that I love him and still want him back? I do love and want to be with him still. I’d do anything to be together and to raise our baby together if that’s what he wants. He seems to be the type of guy that has always done the right thing, but I do also realize he’s a t a whole different stage of his life. He did tell me twice, once back last May and in December when we got back together that he wasn’t looking for anything serious, but he did see us long term. But when I spoke to him regarding the seriousness of our relationship in December and I told him that I thought our relationship was serious he agreed. I am now confused and don’t know what I should do. Thank you for all your assistance. I hope you’re having a fantastic weekend.

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

You could do that, because it does sound like he may not know that. The text you quoted (which I’ve edited out because there were identifiable names and stuff in there) sounds like you were saying you didn’t want him to be involved in your life or the baby’s. In your position I would correct that. But as I said before, make it about you and him. And just let him know, without any pressure on him to meet up or talk or even reply. So I wouldn’t put any questions in the text.

2. Heart broken and pregnant

Also I will be 8 weeks pregnant tomorrow and baby is due at the end of October. With everything going on I have to say I love this baby and I am excited to meet this person.

10. Anonymous and wondering

Hi! Thanks for the article. 30-day NC rule is always, always, always so difficult.

He and I have been in and out of our relationship for almost 3 years now. Let’s just say ‘it’s really complicated’. Within those years, I’ve implemented the NC rule and he too has asked for space in the past. I guess we both need our own space sometimes and it’s okay as we’ve bounced back.

I can tell when his vibe is off so the minute I feel that, I prepare myself to go into the NC/space. Last night, I felt that ‘vibe’ and asked him if he wanted me to leave him alone. He said ‘yup.’ We weren’t arguing or anything prior to that. Our convos have been every day from ‘good morning’ to ‘good night’.. So not exactly sure what triggered that ‘vibe’, that silence… So my question is: does leaving him alone require doing the NC rule OR is it just requiring a few days of space away from each other?

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

30 days is for when you’ve broken up. It doesn’t sound like that’s what’s happened in your case. I would say it sounds like he just wants a few days of space.

But after that, the two of you might want to look at why this keeps happening in your relationship. It’s difficult to do that alone without it turning into a fight or somebody wanting more space, so I’d recommend counseling.

11. Bryan

My girlfriend of 6 months broke up with me 2 weeks ago. We had started off slow because of her bad past relationships and she wasn’t sure if she wanted a relationship at the time. We progressed to the point of both of us wanting a relationship and we were in one. During this time, she had made comments about me not seeing her enough due to work. Everything’s still seem to be going great. Then abruptly, two weeks ago, she decided to break up stating that she felt I wasn’t in full enough to the relationship. I tried to explain to her at that time that I was, but was holding back due to her fears. I said i didnt want tge breakup, but let her go. I think she broke up in fears that I will hurt her later, kind of a pre-emptive strike. I am 2 weeks and 3 days no contact at this point. I have not spoken to her since the breakup. Any advice you can give at this point would be greatly appreciated. Also, what do you think the odds of a couple getting back together in that situation?

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

I think you’re doing the right thing. I would continue with the no contact up to 30 days, then across the bow texts.

Try not to second guess what her feelings or reasons are. People don’t always know themselves. Just keep on and whatever happens you will know you did the best thing you could.

12. Valentina

My boyfriend and I dated for about 1 year and 3 months, Everything was pretty great, we were having a few arguments but as far as the love it was there,Im a flight attendant so i fly it of town a lot,one Sunday I came back early morning, to find him drunk from the night before, a gut feeling told me to check his phone and i found text he had sent to a girl he use to mess around with before me,he had told her really intimant things! Apparently he had ran into her the night before and he just said those things bc he was drunk! He cried a lot and said he was sorry, i was so emotional for about a 2 weeks i kept breaking up with him and taking him back, arguing w him and crying,i was very emotionally unstable, he kept telling me that we needed time apart but i just couldn’t give us that time i was so emotional! Until finally he told me that he wasn’t ready for a relationship,that he needed to find himself,that he didn’t deserve me,but that he still loved me and knew i was the one but that timing was just off! He said he didn’t want to lose me but that he needed time alone because he realized he just wasn’t ready for a relationship! When i would tell him that he couldn’t leave me in limbo like that and he had to make a decision to be together or not, he would have a hard time letting me go,he would ask me to give him time to decide! So i finally realized that maybe i was the one who needed time since i kept going back and forth with a guy who cheated on me,so i messaged him telling him that i needed time now and i needed to be away from all of this! Now I’ve started the no contact rule! Do you think this will help him realize he’s made a mistake and come back to me! I wouldn’t normally want my ex back after he sort of cheated but i do really believe this was the first time he’s ever done anything like this and i feel i was really unfair and overly dramatic with him! Pleas help or help me easy my mind!

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

Yes, I would do the 30 days of no contact in this case. But also, you need to decide if you can stop focusing on what he did. Because either you forgive him and let it go, or you move on and look for someone else. It’s not possible to have a relationship where you’re constantly bringing up the past. Good luck

13. Maggie

My ex and I recently ended a 9 month relationship (he was the one to pull the trigger) because although he cares for me and loves me very much, he didn’t think his feelings were where they should’ve been. (Ie. He’s 34 and still didn’t know if he saw himself marrying me or not, and didn’t want to waste either of our times while trying to figure it out) we left it as it’s over for now, but who know what the future might bring. If its meant to be we’ll find our way back. I plan on using the 30 day NC but not sure I’ll hear from him either way. Do you think this situation is a good way for getting him back? And is 30 days enough?

14. Monta

My husband and I have been together for 2 1/2 years. He broke up with me last week. This is our 3rd big Break-Up. The last time we broke up I kept begging him and stalking him it took 6 months for him to take me back. This time I want to try the no contact and leave him alone hoping he comes back. He loves me… we break up because we fight too much he says that I’m a bitch and complain about everything. I do truly love him. And from our last break up I did make some changes but I can’t help but argue sometimes that’s what couples do. No one is perfect. Can he still miss me and want me back even though he says I’m a bitch and he’s done for good? That’s what he said the last time we broke up too. We broke up last week, he’s moving out , and we’ve had sex twice since we’ve broke up, and that was coming from him not me. Any advice please ? Will the no contact still work if it’s been our 3rd break up.

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

I think no contact is the best thing you can do in this situation. Begging and stalking is not likely to work twice. And by the way, no contact means no sex 😉 I know you know that and I guess you’re waiting until he moves out. But if you have sex with him after you’ve broken up, before he’s ready to get back together, you are very likely to get into a situation where he expects to be “friends with benefits” i.e. no commitment from him. So I would never use sex to try to get him back – it doesn’t work in my experience.

You mention two issues as if they were the same thing, where to me they are quite different. One is fights that the two of you have, and the other is that he complains about your negativity. Yes, all couples have fights sometimes, but if he means that you complain about literally everything, i.e. not just him but other people and other aspects of your life like your job or whatever, having a negative viewpoint generally, that is something that drags people down (including yourself). Then you might want to get counseling to help you be kind to yourself and see the positive side of things, so that you will be happier and also easier to live with. Of course I don’t know you, and this may not be what you (or he) meant. It’s easy to misunderstand a brief post like this. But it came up in my mind from what you said.

1. Monta

Thank you for the reply, complain too much meaning being bitchy… for example I’ll make a big deal if he doesn’t pick up his socks from the floor, or over react if he dOesnt give me attention…. do you think it’s possible to get back together for a third time though? Or should I give up and move on? Thank you! Also I’ve had counseling before and it did help but sometimes it’s still hard to control myself and I over react to small things.

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

It’s possible to get back together for a third time but it’s not guaranteed. If you do the 30 days of no contact you may find you are ready to move on at the end of that time, and then fine. Or you can follow the rest of the steps and give it a try.

15. Kaz

Hello! My ex and I broke up two weeks ago, and we dated from December 2017 to March 2018. He initiated the breakup, and after that we texted casually back and forth for six days before I handed him my farewell letter and went completely no contact. We were fighting a lot in the last few weeks of our relationship, usually initiated by me, so I think it’s best if I disappear completely. I was wondering if there is still a chance we’d get back together and if I’d ever hear from him again.

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

It sounds like you’re doing the best thing you could do. After the 30 days, you would send an across the bow text to attempt to reestablish contact. There are no guarantees, but I think this method gives you the best chance of getting back together.

16. Joe

I was dating my ex gf for 3-4 months and she broke up with me 4 months ago. after the break up I was trying to get her back for a good month and a half by texting her and stuff. During that time when I asked if there was a probability of us ever getting back together she said yes every time. After those months I didn’t contact her for a month 2 months ago I texted her saying we should be friends and I lost my feelings for her (I never did I thought it would get her back for some reason) she agreed. I text her every month and every convo is fun and light, but now I’m thinking of just not contacting her to give her that extra space she needs and for me to get my self better. Even if I said I lost my feelings For her, should I be truthful about how I feel and then no contact or just no contact at all.

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

If I’ve understood this right, you had no contact for 30 days, then you established friendly texting, but you haven’t seen her yet or talked to her on the phone. Do you know if she is seeing someone else?

If she is seeing someone else, then I think I would do what you suggest, i.e. be truthful about how you feel and then no contact. You’d be hoping to pick up with her again when her current relationship ends.

If she isn’t seeing anyone else, then after the time that has passed and the steps you have taken, I think you could try talking to her on the phone. If you do that a couple times and she seems happy to be talking, you could suggest a date. But don’t push or beg.

17. Joey

Hi, I have been dating this girl for 2.5 years. Last year around Christmas she broke up with me saying she only loved me as a friend. After a week of me asking for her back I gave up and 3 days later she wanted me back. Now she told me a couple weeks ago she didn’t feel the same anymore again but was willing to try. She then cheated on me and we broke up. Then she wanted me back saying she realized how much she loves me and I obliged. After a couple of days back together she didn’t know what she wanted again and ended up breaking up with me 4 days ago. She says she doesn’t feel the same as she used to and could be happier. I haven’t been in contact with her for 4 days now and I have been going to our apartment to move stuff out while she isn’t there. Am I getting my hopes up that she will come around if I continue the no contact?

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

I think no contact is the best thing you can do. She is treating you very badly, expecting you to be there whenever she wants you, then dropping you again. No contact will show her that she cannot do that.

But you have to decide what you will do if she says in a couple days that she wants to get back together. Will you run to her like you have done before? Then nothing will have changed. Or would you take a risk and tell her you want a longer break because you don’t believe she is serious? I can’t tell you what to do in that situation.

18. L.W.

Please please help! Me and my ex boyfriend dated for four months, we lived together the whole time. I know we moved fast but it was because I didn’t want to live with my annoying parents anymore. After awhile he suggested I go home and fix things with them. He wanted to meet my family and wanted me to go back to school and achieve my goals. Throughout the relationship I kept overthinking situations and sometimes wouldn’t see that he was just looking out for me. I was being selfish. He always reassured me and convinced me that I was the one for him and was better than any girl he’s ever had. He has never introduced a girl to his whole family except for me. I did go home eventually but not being around him all the time made me overthink more. I would wonder why he wouldn’t reply to my texts at a decent time or call me like he said he would. So I freaked out and then one night I called and texted him a bunch of times. The next morning he dumped me because it was too much for him. I begged him to give me another chance. He said “Focus on your family, going back to school and getting a car. I can’t do this anymore I’ve given you so many chances. This is for the best.” After we hung up I cried. I haven’t contacted him since. I know I still have to get some stuff from his house. But I want him back so bad. I want to change for the better and now I realize he was right all along and I had nothing to worry about. What should I do? Continue with no contact? I wouldn’t mind doing that I’m just petrified. It was so natural with him and I ruined it with my paranoia. His family loves me too so I’m also really hoping they influence him to take me back. What should I do??

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

Yes I would continue with no contact. You can send a friend to pick up your stuff, maybe, or go when he isn’t there.

When you do get back in contact with him, I would make it clear that you don’t want to move in with his family again. It sounds like that happened too soon, and it’s harder on the person whose family it is because they can feel trapped. They don’t have a choice to leave. When you do move in with him or somebody again, it’s better if it’s an independent place for the two of you so you’re on equal terms–although I know that can be difficult financially. But it can be a good thing to wait until you can financially manage that, so the relationship is more solid by the time it happens.

Living together is difficult!

19. Missing my husband

Me and my husband have been married 23 years separated 8 months. He cause the separation. At first he was trying to get back. Then I moved a guy friend in our home, now he’s making me the bad guy because he’s hurt. But he was cheating for years. So recently I was begging and pleading to save our marriage. He wouldn’t respond, so I stop and started no contact for 2 weeks. He had a few days ago he told our son to tell me he still loves me and he called that night from an unknown number telling me he still loved me and he was hurting cause someone died in his family. I didn’t go to him. I haven’t heard from him sense then. Now I feel bad cause I didn’t to him. What should I do? Haven’t heard from him in a week

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

It sounds to me like the two of you are perfect for relationship counseling. You don’t say if you’ve had this before. It would give you both a chance to discuss what you want from the marriage in an environment where the talking isn’t so likely to turn into begging or fighting.

The problem with getting back together without discussing things calmly first is that you may not have the same idea of what getting back together means. Does it mean he’ll never cheat again? Maybe it means that to you, but not to him. This kind of issue needs to be aired, but not in a fight, and that is very hard to do without a trained counselor present.

1. Missing my husband

I tried to get him to go too counseling. So much has happened. He’s still seeing another woman, and he won’t come home. He won’t forgive me for bringing another man in our home. What can I do it’s been 8 months now we’ve been separated. Should I continue not to call him or call arrange a place to meet and talk

1. Jennie Hernandez Post author

You could go to counseling alone if he won’t go. You could meet with him if you want, of course, but you’d need to be sure it would not make things worse.

20. amit

We were in relationship for more then 3 years bt 2 months back she suddenly broke up with me without giving any reason ……after break up she said she loves me many times but again she would get angry at me and said that she doesn’t want me in her life ……so I am in no contact from 15 days and even she has blocked me on everything…..what should I do???? Please help me out